Frequently Asked Questions
Why learn CPD, AED and basic first aid?
Having skills in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and basic first aid really can save someone's life.
For example, in an emergency such as Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) a person's heart stops pumping blood to their brain. This causes rapid and severe damage to brain cells. Unless a supply of oxygenated blood is quickly restored, death can occcur in a few minutes.
For each minute a person's heart's normal pumping action is ceased, their chance of survival reduces by around 10%. Rapidly commencing CPR and using an AED to reactivate the heart's regular electrical impulses and pumping is the only way to restore blood flow and preserve life.
Similarly, blood loss caused by an external or internal injury to the body can disrupt the normal supply of oxygenated blood to the brain. Using basic first aid techniques to stem blood loss can help prevent medical complications due to blood loss, and for severe injuries can significantly improve a person's chance of survival.
Who should learn CPR, AED and basic first aid?
Ideally, everyone - of any background or gender, from older children through to older adults.
CPR, in particular, is only effective if a significant proportion of people in the community are able to perform it immediately if someone has a cardiac arrest. It is not enough for doctors and paramedics to be 'experts' in CPR, because in such a medical emergency it is up to ordinary folk to intervene quickly while waiting for specialist emergency responders to arrive.
A meta-analysis of 79 studies found that while around 10% of people suffering a cardiac arrest outside of a hospital setting avoided death, nearly 45% of those receiving bystander CPR did so. In other words, those who received CPR from an ordinary member of the community were four times more likely to survive the event.
When are courses held?
Courses are generally held on Tuesdays, Fridays and selected Saturdays. You can see available dates once you commence online booking process.
Courses are occasionally held (by request) on a Sunday or national holiday.
At least two weeks advance booking is preferred.
How do your courses compare to those run by other organisations?
In their content, methodology and evidence base, MEDIC First Aid training courses are equivalent to those developed by the American National Heart Association and the American Red Cross. They are regularly updated (every few years) to align with the latest peer-reviewed medical / scientific evidence and consensus.
In Japan, MEDIC First Aid is one of the few programs that combines CPR, AED and basic first aid training into a comprehensive, one-day course (BasicPlus).
Current MEDIC First Aid courses (Version 8) conform to:
- 2015 American Heart Association (AHA) Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care, supplemented by the annual Guidelines Update
- 2015 AHA and American Resuscitation Council (ARC) Guidelines for First Aid, supplemented by the annual Guidelines Update
- 2015 Caring for Our Children Basics: Health and Safety Foundations for Early Care and Education. Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- 2011 Standards for First Aid and CPR training of the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Public Health Association, and National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education, Caring for our children: National health and safety performance standards; Guidelines for early care and education programs. 3rd edition (“CFOC3”)
- The criteria of the Boy Scouts of America for Wilderness First Aid Curriculum and Doctrine Guidelines
- National Emergency Medical Services Education Standards, Emergency Medical Responder Recommendations of the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Best Practices Guide: Fundamentals of a Workplace First Aid Program.
Do you offer online or blended online/classroom courses?
Not at the moment. There are pros and cons of learning first aid online. But at InterAssist we believe that the effective acquisition and retention of CPD / AED skills in particular requires:
- roleplaying scenarios that simulate a real medical emergency as much as possible
- instructor demonstration and hands-on student practice
- observation, support and coaching
- and appropriate equipment, in other words a mannequin and AED training device.
These requirements cannot be met via online-only training.
I work in childcare... do you offer paediatric first aid courses?
Not at the moment. We plan to starting offering this from late 2021.
Do I need to be a native or fluent English speaker?
Do I have to take a written test or exam?
No. Our MEDIC First Aid courses do not require passing a written test or exam to obtain certification.
The emphasis is on building practical skills, knowledge and confidence to respond effectively in a medical emergency. This is evaluated via instructor observation and a simple checklist as the course progresses.
A structured written test is available, but is completely optional.
Do your courses involve hands-on practice?
Absolutely. Hands-on practice using a modern mannequin, AED training device and other equipment is an integral part of both the BasicPlus and CarePlus courses.
For no extra charge, students have the opportunity to revise the key medical emergency scenario and practice CPD / AED a second time before finishing their course. This can help consolidate these skills and gain more confidence to respond in a real situation.
How long is MEDIC First Aid certification valid for?
BasicPlus and CarePlus Certification Cards are valid for two years.
Emergency Care First Aid Certificates are valid for two years.
What payment methods do you accept?
Payment can be made by:
- credit or debit card, via Stripe (when booking online)
- bank transfer (prior to your course day)
- cash (on the day of your course).
I'd like to book 3 or more people for a course... how do I obtain 10% discount?
Please contact us. We'll take your booking, then apply the discount to the total course fee during the payment process. We can provide an invoice if needed (see below).
Can you invoice me or my company before payment is made?
Yes. Just contact us and we'll supply an invoice. Payment can then be made by credit / debit card via the Stripe Payments platform, or via direct bank transfer.
Do you have a Registration Number?
Yes. Andrew's MEDIC First Aid International Registry Number is 201449.
Can't find the answer you were looking for
Make an enquiry via the contact page and we'll respond promptly, within 1 - 2 days.